Thursday, February 12, 2009

We are still here!

We have been having so much fun with our school this month that I havn't had any time to post our activities- so here it goes!

First, I LOVE Saxon Math! This math program is designed so well, and is so fun for the children to do. I use the "calendar time" section of the lesson in our group calendar lesson every morning. This is comprised of shape patterns, counting, month/date/year, left and right, weather graphing, etc.

I am using Saxon Math 1 for Abigail, and Breanna joins in when she pleases. Here they are using the geo-blocks. So much fun! This program is designed so well to have each lesson build upon the previous one and there is tons of review. I could go on and on (just ask Peter. . . :) I just TOTALLY LOVE this program!





Second, for figuring out our "word of the day" this month, we have been doing "music math". In piano, the girls are learning quarter notes, half notes, and whole notes. So each day I put rhythms on the board, we clap them, figure the beats and add the measures together. It is fun to be able to integrate what they are learning in piano into our daily morning routine as well!



Next, February can be all about learning the presidents and learning about our country! I have a great book called "We the Kids" which is the preamble to the constitution, illustrated by one of my favorite illustrators- David Catrow. Anyway, we talked about Betsy Ross and the design of the American flag. We also talked about peace (in the preamble the word "tranquility" is used- thats a fun one for kids to say!) and being peacemakers. We also spent a day talking about the blessings of liberty and what it means to be free. It was a really fun week!



This week it has been all about Valentines Day! I will post our activities soon. Next week will be all about Abraham Lincoln and the next about George Washington- so much to learn and we are having a great time doing it together!

No comments: